Thursday, June 11, 2009

An Interlude



This is a fella I met today on the way into Fairview, Ok. He actually posed for the picture.


I am at the library located in Fairview, OK and do not have my trip statistics for days 4 or 5. However, both days have been good days. Yesterday I felt the strongest yet on the trip and arrived first into the camp. This is a huge responsibility as the first in camp must locate the best camp site, consisting of flat and high ground, no nighttime lights, absence of late night music or other commotion and of course, if possible, power so that we can run all of our electronic devices. The fun part was that yesterday was unique.

Our route took us from Cheyenne to Thomas, about 65 miles. About 15 miles away from Thomas I could see the western sky start to cloud up this was welcome as the temperature never got over 80 degrees during our ride. As I was coming into town there was lightning on the horizon and I knew that my priorities had changed. Once at camp I could feel the first rain drops and quickly located my stuff and set my tent up. By this time Lori and Dan had arrived and we all went and retrieved the rest of our items. These were thrown into my tent to keep them as dry as possible. By then the rain was coming down in full force. I helped them get their tent set up and then flagged Dad down when he arrived. He was much later due to losing a tire on the route.

It rained for a full 1 1/2 hours and then the sun came out and it was hot again. We were able to dry most of our things last night and went to bed feeling good that we had survived the day. Overnight the temperature dropped considerably as the wind turned around to the north. Not a good sign since the next morning we were to ride due north for most of the day.

We awoke to heavy fog and cold. The first hour of our ride this morning was in a dense fog. So dense that I could not wear my glasses for all the water on the lenses. It was quite difficult to assure that I was still on the right route as I could not see far ahead, did not have other riders around me, and couldn't see well without my glasses. This part of the course (Oh, we were riding between Thomas and Fairview, about 54 miles) must have been mostly downhill because despite the conditions I was able to exceed my average speed for any hour during the trip. At 15 miles the fog lifted and it was clear riding. Then came the north wind. I first noticed it when large trucks would pass on the other side of the road. The gust of wind would knock a full 2-3 MPH off my speed. Then the wind became sustained at about 7-10 MPH. Fortunately, it was a cold wind.

All in all, the two days were good days. I have felt my best and am not intimidated by 50,60 or even 70 mile days any more. I have learned what I can and cannot eat while riding. I now know how to stay hydrated. I am much more comfortable on the bike as a whole.

I will post the specifics of both days as soon as I can.

Hal

No comments:

Post a Comment