Sunday, June 7, 2009

Day 1: Duncan to Apache

Distance: 55.19 miles
Average: 12.3 MPH
Max: 36.7 MPH
Time: 4:28:46 hours

We survived the great wind storm of Duncan. After going to bed last night at about 10:30 the wind started to pick up. I Googled up the weather and it said that we were experiencing sustained winds of 28 MPH with gusts up to 42 MPH. At the camp site I know we had a few gusts well over 42. During one such gust our tent completely collapsed onto us. This was extremely scarey for Amber. She had only camped once and never experienced anything like it. We ended up breaking one pole and sleeping on the opposite side of the tent.

The route is very good. It's amazing to see the expanse of the country out here. At one point in the day we topped a hill and you could see, I estimate, 50 miles in any one direction. At lunch my average was 13.7 but I had enjoyed a strong tail wind all day.

20090607dcapshaw-44 (Lunch time.)

However, when we turned west into Apache the wind and the uphill grade both worked against me and dropped my average to the posted level. I was ready to quit only once today. Just after lunch my legs acted like they did not want to work and the food I ate for lunch had not taken effect. I ate 1/3 of a Powerbar and that seemed to do the trick.

It's amazing the people you see on the ride. From very young speedsters to more mature pacers. The most impressive was a family of five, the kids being 10, 8 and 6. They all made it into camp.

Off to Cordell tomorrow. See ya...

Hal

No comments:

Post a Comment