Sunday, June 7, 2009

Day 0: Post Log Red River, TX to Duncan, OK

Distance: 36.15 miles
Average: 13.0 MPH
Max: 27.3 MPH
ET: 2:45:40 hours

I would like to start by thanking my lovely wife, Lynn, for allowing me to participate in the OKFree. I know you have sacrificed much and I have not always been grateful.

I love you Lynn, thank you!

This morning started very early. I was awake at 4:30, decided to create our commencement post and then finished packing. We left for Duncan at about 7:30 and stopped at Jake's BBQ in Chickasha. Some of the best BBQ ever.

We arrived in Duncan at about 12:30, set up camp and headed down to the Red River.

20090606dcapshaw-92

After taking picturesby the Texas state line we were headed north at 3:30 PM. With a strong tail wind it looked like the day was going to be relatively easy. By the time we reached Wareaka the temperature had risen to 94 degrees at the 1st State Bank.

For the most part, the ride was flat with a good south wind. The ride was uneventful. The scenery was amazing.

20090606dcapshaw-113 (Over the Shoulder)

Living out here must be very peaceful. I was particularly impressed with the two boys south of Camanche selling cold drinks. I know they made more money in that one day than they will for the next three years. Good old American capitalism at work.

I learned that I must maintain my own pace, stay over hydrated and always "keep the tank full". The seat on my bike leaves much to be desired. Next trip I must pay attention to my equipment. Weight is critial and less is better, both personal and that of my equipment. All-in-all it was a great day. It's 9 PM and bedtime.

Hal

No comments:

Post a Comment