Saturday, June 6, 2009

Day Zero

The day has finally arrived. Dan and Lori landed at 4:40 PM yesterday afternoon with, it appears, half the contents of their household. I wonder how they're going to carry all that stuff from Texas to Kansas, but that's their challenge. After mom had filled us with one of her wonderful dinners, befitting a grandmother of old, we proceded to complete the assembly of the travellers' bikes and get them loaded onto the bike rack for transport down to Duncan. After about 45 minutes of loading and unloading we were able to get all four bikes onto the "four-bike" rack. I am convinced that Thule must use smaller bicycles in their testing and development. Anyway, the bikes are loaded and we will be leaving very shortly.

For me, I feel grossly undertrained for the event after seeing the level of preparation that Lori and Dan have put into their effort. I can only hope that I will be able to finish with dignity each day. They, on the other hand, will be in the front pack. At least we are assured of a great camp site each day! I have finished packing and am sure that I will think of five things I have forgotten by the time we get to west Tulsa. Almost to the point of no return...

See you tonight in Duncan, Oklahoma.

Hal

1 comment: