Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Day 3: Cordell to Cheyenne

Distance: 66.10 miles Time: 6:06:01 hours Average: 10.8 MPH Max: 40.6 MPH The route today took us through some of the most desolate wilderness in Oklahoma. There were many stretches today where there was little or no sign of civilization and with the exception of oil/gas field trucks there was no traffic. The first 30 miles I felt great even though we were headed west into a strong south wind. I had my first mishap today when my rear tube blew out. I was headed out of Burns Flat, OK when it popped and immediately went down. Fortunately, I had purchased a spare tube the night before. All I needed was air. Fifteen minutes into the ordeal ride support had not passed. Joe Savage, operations manager of the Oklahoma Space Industry Development Authority stopped and offered help. He shuttled me to a hanger, helped to air my tire back up and then ferried me right back to the spot I had gone down. Joe, thank you so much for the help and join us next year in OKFree. The last five miles were torturous with four hills each larger and steeper than the last. The short story is I made it to camp. Now it's time to shower, eat and prepare for another 65 miles tomorrow. See ya... Hal

2 comments:

  1. Dad, i am so proud of you!. i thought by now you would have stopped but I guess not. Hope my brothers are not killing you with all this rides. How much weight have lost in all of this exercise?. I am fine and will follow up with you later. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the tube is the worst of the trip, sounds like you're having a great time.

    ReplyDelete