Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 5: Bristow, OK to Pawnee, OK

My new best friend, Boss!
Today was to be a long day and it was.  We rode 86 miles, the longest distance of this Freewheel and a personal best for me.  The day started in Bristow as 5 AM with a thunderstorm.  This delayed our start to about 6:45 AM.  The first 33 miles to Chandler were wet but not too hilly.  The most significant event of the day was encountering broken glass just outside of Stroud.  All day, from that point on, we saw riders with flat tires.  Fortunately, Don and I both avoided any damage.  I worried about it all day.  Turning north from Chandler we had the wind at our backs.  I was dreading this day from the minute the Freewheel route was announced but the weather made the ride enjoyable.  It was cool most of the day with a moderate south wind.

Turning east into Pawnee we had yet another group of thunderstorms approaching.  This turned the wind from the east.  The last 7 miles as into the teeth of this wind. 

I felt the best today and look forward to the next two shorter days.

No comments:

Post a Comment