Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 2: Coalgate, OK to Wewoka, OK

                I got an early start this morning, 5:30 AM.  Indoor camping is the way to go.   The truck was located just outside our door, no tent to take down and AC all night.

                I had a tough day riding today.  Starting out of Coalgate we had a number of rolling hills which took the wind right out of me.  For the most part, there was a strong south wind which became a cross wind when we were riding to the west.  In typical Freewheel fashion we had a long downhill ride into Holdenville, OK with a hard stop at the bottom of the hill.  I just hate to scrub off so much energy when it’s so hard to generate!

                I learned today that mass works for you going down hills but more than makes up the difference going up hills.  Duh! I need to lose lots of weight before I do this again.

                After getting lost early, minor mechanical issues and not feeling 100% I ran out of gas 5 miles from Wewoka.  I saw significant rollers ahead and knew I wouldn’t be able to climb the hills.  At this point in the ride I found a shade tree, rested and ate some peanut butter crackers.  I didn’t know that the route turned north just beyond my resting point.  After a 30 minute rest I rode the final easy 5 miles.

                We stayed at the fairgrounds in Wewoka.  This town did a great job taking care of 800 Freewheelers.

No comments:

Post a Comment