Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 0: Durant, OK to Carpenter's Bluff, TX and back

HC Capshaw's Original Home in Durant, OK
Dad and I arrived in Durant at about 9:30 AM.  On our way into town, we drove by my Great Grandfather’s home.  It appeared vacant and it looks like it is owned by Southeastern State University.  I made a note to ride over to the house after my ride to Texas and take look around.  We set up camp and I bid Dad farewell.  He had made plans to visit several local cemeteries to locate markers for a number of our family members and I did not want to impede that project.

                I started my journey down to the Texas state line at about 11 AM.  Immediately, I was able to feel the effects of a lack of training.  This was not a good sign for the rest of the week.  The temperature when I left was 93°.  The route was smooth with few hazards.  There was a slight headwind going down.

                Carpenter’s Bluff, TX consisted of a bar at the end of the longest one-lane bridge I have ever seen.  The bridge was constructed in the 1910s to allow trains to cross the Red River.  A footpath that served as a horse and wagon crossing was also constructed at the same time.  One could cross the Red River for a fee.  The bridge was about 1/3 mile long and was in such disrepair that portions of the guardrail had rusted away, leaving nothing between the riders and the Red River 75 feet below.  The water looked inviting but the word was that it was hot and dirty.

                I snacked and hydrated, then started back.  The way was gently uphill with a nice tail wind.  It was 97° when I returned to Durant.  Camping in Durant was hot.  We were located on the football field and I had to be creative the find a spot of shade.  I finally lay down on the west side bleachers and was able to cool off just a little bit.

The bike is in great shape.   At least it appears that I will be able to count on the bike.  I have plenty of storage on board and the Camel Bak is a lifesaver.

I met up with Don Keylon after my ride.  Don is close friend of Dan’s (my brother) and had been introduced to the Freewheel last year by Dan.  We actually rode through the home town of Don’s father during last year’s ride.  Don and I are going to try to ride together during the week.  But by looking and Don I don’t know how I will keep up.

The accommodations are very bad.  No showers, no cold water.  I can’t wait to get out of Durant.  I am calling home now and then off to bed.  All in all this was an okay day.

No comments:

Post a Comment