Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 1: Durant, OK to Coalgate, OK

The road out of Durant, OK
Milborn, OK Post Office
                Our first breakfast was served  in the student center at the college.  I had eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy.  It was very good.  I travelled 64 miles today.  I had trouble with my shifters all day.  The front derailleur would not stay in gear just as soon as we left Durant.  I the first stop I was able to borrow a screwdriver and fix the shifter.  However, I was afraid to use the shifter again all day.  With that problem solved at about mile 25 the rear derailleur developed the same problem.  I rode to mile 52 in my highest gear for most of the stretch.  In order to hold a lower gear I had to hold the shifters in position by hand.  At mile 52 I was able to flag down a SAG and tightened this shifter as well.  I was also able to top off with water as well.  It’s a good thing, I was just about out of water and we encountered a number of high rolling hills on the way into Coalgate.  I actually ran out of water just as I arrived into Coalgate.  In addition to the mechanical problems I encountered on the route, I completely missed the lunch stop; never saw it.  I was completely out of gas when I arrived into Coalgate.

                I have decided to camp indoors tonight to help with my recovery.  I am looking forward to a good night’s rest.  Today’s route was mostly flat with the exception of the last 12 miles.  A really tough day.

No comments:

Post a Comment