Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 4: Checotah, OK to Bristow, OK

                Last night I camped at the Checotah High School Field House.  The building did not have AC so I decided to camp outside under the awning at the First Baptist Church.  At about midnight, a thunderstorm hit the town.  Apparently, the storm was so bad that they evacuated the main camp.  I was not aware and just tried to stay as dry as possible.  Once the storm was over I was able to get back to sleep.  Sleep was hard to get on this night.

                We covered 79 miles today.  This was, by far, the hardest day so far.  The morning started at 6:07 AM.  Unfortunately, I fell in downtown Checotah.  At a stoplight I was unable to get my foot out of the clip and over I fell.  The only thing that hurt was my pride.  I guess I am learning to roll when I hit the ground.

                The ride out of Checotah was smooth and fast.  I was able to hook up in a train with the Bartlesville Peddlers.  They pulled me to the first rest stop at an average speed of 19 MPH.  I had a great time, thank you Bartlesville Peddlers.

                Don was able to catch me at this first rest stop and we rode together most of the day from there.  Once again he was able to pace me through some of the hardest parts of the day.  At Dennis’ rest stop (the last of the day) I told him to head on to Bristow and find us a good camping spot.  Off he went and was in Bristow in less than an hour.

                For me the last 19 miles were painful.  By the time we reached the last stop the temperatures had climbed significantly.  In nearly gave up on the second hill we had to climb into Bristow.  Dad met me half way up the hill and gave me some strawberries and water.  What a welcome sight the high school was when I finally arrived.

Before picking up my luggage I found shade under Bradford Pear tree and laid down to slow my heart rate.  This was at 2:30 PM.  At the time I am writing this (7:15 PM) my heart rate is still over 90BPM.

Okmulgee Lake Spillway
We travelled through some very pretty country today.  Places like Morris, a quiet little town east of Okmulgee.  And, I have new respect for Okmulgee.  My impression of the town has been formed by the route through town on US 75, north to south.  Today, we travelled across from east to west.  There  are very nice neighborhoods, main street and then Okmulgee Lake.  Lunch was provided by Trinity Lutheran Church in Okmulgee and was the best lunch so far of the Freewheel.  I ate a loaded baked potato and salad.  They even provided ice for the riders.  It was great!  Slick, OK is a small town between Okmulgee and Bristow.  Hot and not much there.

Lunch also afforded the one mechanical problem of the day.  When I returned to my bike I found the front tire flat.  I struggled with changing the tire until a young man from one of the support bike shops offered to help.  He took my wheel and had the flat fixed in about 5 minutes.  He also gave me some good tips on how to repair a flat while on the road. 
Don looks cold on the Bristow air conditioning

This is indoor camping
Tomorrow is the route to Pawnee.  It’s a scheduled 86 miles and is going to be tough.  I am seriously considering cutting the dogleg and riding direct to Pawnee, on 55 miles.  I will let you know my decision tomorrow.

The facilities in Bristow are great.  We are located in the high school basketball arena.  AC and quiet.  I hope to sleep good.

No comments:

Post a Comment